General Sessions Court
General Sessions Court is a court of limited jurisdiction. Civil jurisdiction is limited to specific types of actions and a monetary limit of $25,000 except for Detainer Warrants, wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction; and Actions to Recover Personal Property wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction including jurisdiction to award an alternative money judgment. Criminal jurisdiction is limited to misdemeanor cases and preliminary hearings in felony cases.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Judge Don A. Layton - General Sessions Division I
• General Sessions Judge Division I – 1998- Present
• Frequent speaker at Clerk and Judicial conferences presented by the Administrative Office of Courts
• Served as an Instructor for the University of Tennessee Center for Government Service and Roane State Community College
• Past President of the Tennessee General Sessions Judges Conference
• Served as Anderson County Clerk and Master – 1991-1998
• 1996-Tennessee Most Outstanding Court Clerk
• 1972 – University of Tennessee – Doctor of Jurisprudence
Judge Ronald N. Murch - general Sessions Division II
Ronald N. Murch has served Division II as Judge since his appointment to the position when Division II was created in 1993 and subsequent election in 1994. He was elected in September of 1998 to an eight-year term, which he is currently serving.Learn More
Bachelor of Science – Business Management, 1970
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1976
Tennessee General Sessions Judges Judicial Academy
U.S. Army 1970 – 1972
• Tennessee General Sessions Court Judges Conference
• Member of Education and Orientation Committees
• Former member of Tennessee Municipal Attorneys Association
• Former member of National Institute of Municipal Law Officials
• Former In-Service Training Instructor on Courtroom Testimony to various law
• 1970 to 1972 - U.S. Army
• 1973 to 1976 - Student, University of Tennessee School of Law
• 1976 to 1993 - Private practice and Corporate Counsel for City of Oak Ridge
• 1993 – Present - Judge, Anderson County General Sessions Court – Division II
• Member and Deacon, Calvary Baptist Church of Oak Ridge
• Service as Head Usher and member of Personnel Committee
• Member of Oak Ridge Jaycee Scholarship Foundation
• Former Board member and President of Oak Ridge Boys Club, Inc.
• Former President of Anderson County High School Lady Maverick Softball Boosters
• Former Coach, Oak Ridge Boys Club
• Former Coach, Oak Ridge Girls Club, Inc.
• Coach, Anderson County High School Lady Maverick Fall League Softball Team